PDA

View Full Version : standard

NILgravity
11-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I've been doing webcomics and zines for so long I can't remember what a standard page size is. Can anyone help me out? I also need to know the bleeds and average gutter width. thanks

protonik
11-28-2006, 02:34 PM
11x17 with a 10x15 live area.

Jason

marco pedrana
11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
i would like to know the live area size of some authors really detailed, like the penciller of Civil War and the other of the current Iron Man (sorry the names slips me now).
i've tryed to enlarge their pages, for experiment, and no way i could draw so much, with subtle lines and details as they do in 10x15. the same goes for the inking, i usually go for a little more than 11x16 and still i'm more rough than them.

protonik
11-28-2006, 04:52 PM
McNiven uses the standard Marvel stock of 11x17. Try using a finer pencil, like a .3 mechanical. SOme of that fine detail is where the art gets shrunk. The only artists I know of that use larger boards are Arthur Adams and Frank Miller who draw on twice ups, 22x34. What kind of pencil do you use?

marco pedrana
11-29-2006, 12:20 PM
usually i go with standard 2B and H, using most of the time the side of the lead instead of the tip. but the tip already is too big for this kind of page for my use.
only once in a often i use a .5 B mechanical, the .3 i reserve for measurations. mixing them to the normal pencils don't work well with me, because their traits are too differnt, i can do it only if i plan it ahead a lot. all accounted it's just quicker for me to use larger board. but thanks on the info, it's probably a matter of just get used to standard page and be more clean, ponderated, when i draw.

shushubag
11-29-2006, 05:56 PM
McNiven uses the standard Marvel stock of 11x17. Try using a finer pencil, like a .3 mechanical. SOme of that fine detail is where the art gets shrunk. The only artists I know of that use larger boards are Arthur Adams and Frank Miller who draw on twice ups, 22x34. What kind of pencil do you use?

22 x 34? Damn that's big!

Imagine how much attention to detail you can emphasize. Damn!

Well I just conquered the artboard at 11 x 17 thanks to some help from these boards and I'm loving it.

Mike225
11-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Not that it matters, but I think Erik Larsen uses larger art boards, as well.

shushubag
11-30-2006, 05:48 AM
Not that it matters, but I think Erik Larsen uses larger art boards, as well.

That's cool. I'm a huge Larsen fan from back in the days.