PDA

View Full Version : space warfare as a comic book

yakattack_one
11-25-2006, 08:09 AM
I have a question that I want to pose to everyone here.
I am working on a concept for a new comic book.
The premise of the book is an age old war between two star kingdoms.
This is going to be a character driven book, but will have lots of action. The action ranges from one on one combat to capital ship spce combat.

My question to everyone here is: Can a book about space travel and space combat make it as a comic book and be successful?

Thanks.
Eric

Scott Story
11-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I would say yes. If done right, space opera, Westerns, romance, whatever genre you can think of can make it. It's not the genre that determines success or failure so much as the quality and coolness and hype of the project.

yakattack_one
11-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Scott,
Thanks for the advice. I think that you just sold me on the continuing to work on the idea.
I appreciate all the kind and truthfull replies that I get on these boards thank you all.

Scribe
11-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Can it the sci-fi war series pull in readers? Yeah, look at the BSG comic book.

The question is, is your book strong enough to pull in readers? What are you going to offer thats catching and different that we haven't seen before. As a Sci-Fi fan I've seen a lot of books, movies and comics with plots similar to yours fail. I think if you're serious about going foward you need to ask what is your series about and how is it different from what's come before.

Joshua P
12-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Sounds awesome.

If you ever finish it, let me know. This is the kind of stuff that always intrigues. Good space opera is very hard to write. But if done well can be awesome.

Work on the details and know your stuff. I recommend looking at books like Honor Harrington by David Weber...that's great space opera!

JP