PDA

View Full Version : DC v Marvel

Mat Major
11-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I was wondering if I could get a little help on a piece of art I'm working on. I'm looking for DC analogues (sp?) to Marvel heroes. The one's in question would be Spiderman, Wolverine, and Spiderwoman.

So far I figure the new Blue Beetle would work as a Spiderman, Wildcat as Wolverine (as long as I stick claws on his wrappings as he's sometimes depicted) and Crimson Fox as SpiderWoman. That's the best I could come up with so far.

Any other ideas for those three?

Mat Major
11-20-2006, 06:27 PM
thanks for the move, wasn't quite sure where to stick this one.

Cyclops
11-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi Mat, interesting because I posted a very similar thread (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101493) last week -- its sitting just below this one.

You might get some ideas from that.

edit: my bad, you meant only those three.

I think your comparisons are very accurate.

Biofungus
11-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Are you specifically comparing powers and abilities, or iconoclasm?

Mat Major
11-20-2006, 10:48 PM
A little bit of both. More in the way of iconoclasm I guess, but with powers that have at least one or two parallels in order to drive home a visual "feel" that is reminiscent of thier Marvel counterparts. Of course, I'm tweaking the designs so the costume part is negligable.

I would prefer a Green Arrow/Hawkeye kind of obvious correlation but could make due with a Vision/Martian Manhunter analogue where they're powers and backgrounds don't quite match but one can recognize that they're flipsides at separate companies.

Here's a little something to make it tougher: Spiderwoman could theoretically stem from Wonder Woman but I'm not thinking Wonder Woman because that's too far into the archetype or root. I don't look at Wonder Woman and think "hmmm, that could be the DC Spiderwoman" even though I sometimes think the opposite of Spiderwoman (although Marvel already has that in Ms. Marvel).

Does that make any kind of sense? I think I'm confusing myself :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the help guys!

Biofungus
11-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, it may be a loose association, but you can try spiderman=superman, spiderwoman=supergirl.

As for Wolverine, nobody in DC really stands out in my mind...

Biofungus
11-20-2006, 11:40 PM
If you really want to run with the theme, you can run Venom instead of wolverine, and pair him off with Bizarro ;)

The Scribe
11-21-2006, 12:45 AM
A little bit of both. More in the way of iconoclasm I guess, but with powers that have at least one or two parallels in order to drive home a visual "feel" that is reminiscent of thier Marvel counterparts. Of course, I'm tweaking the designs so the costume part is negligable.

I would prefer a Green Arrow/Hawkeye kind of obvious correlation but could make due with a Vision/Martian Manhunter analogue where they're powers and backgrounds don't quite match but one can recognize that they're flipsides at separate companies.

Here's a little something to make it tougher: Spiderwoman could theoretically stem from Wonder Woman but I'm not thinking Wonder Woman because that's too far into the archetype or root. I don't look at Wonder Woman and think "hmmm, that could be the DC Spiderwoman" even though I sometimes think the opposite of Spiderwoman (although Marvel already has that in Ms. Marvel).

Does that make any kind of sense? I think I'm confusing myself :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the help guys!

Wonder Woman and Storm

Spider-Woman and Batwoman

Jubliee and Batgirl

Absorbing Man and Bizzaro (I'd like to see that.) ;)

Lobo and Wolverine

Aquaman and Namor

Captain America and Uncle Sam

Angel and Hawkman

Mat Major
11-21-2006, 02:48 AM
dude your avatar has been driving me nuts all day. I keep wanting to swat my computer screen.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mat Major
11-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I was thinking long and hard about the Spider Woman thing last night and was almost going to go with Bio's suggestion of Supergirl because it might work but she's too well defined and iconic. Too much history and not enough correlations to Spiderwoman.

But Scribe, you're suggestion of Batwoman stuck in my craw. It works in a lot of areas philosophically (if philosophically is the word that I'm looking for). Very loose association with Batman in the current version and an even looser visual style in the Golden age (Golden or Silver? It was Silver wasn't it?) version. I could play with the idea that they have no real connection except for thier motif, which is an animal/insect totem just like Spiderwoman. Not only that but they're long unused characters that have recently been revived to huge popularity. The cape/webbing has a similar feel and both have the potential to be a little creepy/"pulpy".

This works a lot better than Crimson Fox who only had the skintight crimson (although it's more often been a kind of brown) outfit, pheremone thing, and sex kitten feel to parallel her with Spiderrwoman.

I've already got something in mind visually that would be a large departure from any of her previous/current incarnations but (I think) would be rather cool.

So yeah, that was my long-winded (I love me some run on sentences) way of saying I'm set. Thanks for the suggestions guys, you've been a huge help!

The Scribe
11-21-2006, 11:45 PM
dude your avatar has been driving me nuts all day. I keep wanting to swat my computer screen.

Thanks for the suggestions!

It's a moth, not a fly. :laugh:

The Scribe
11-21-2006, 11:48 PM
I was thinking long and hard about the Spider Woman thing last night and was almost going to go with Bio's suggestion of Supergirl because it might work but she's too well defined and iconic. Too much history and not enough correlations to Spiderwoman.

But Scribe, you're suggestion of Batwoman stuck in my craw. It works in a lot of areas philosophically (if philosophically is the word that I'm looking for). Very loose association with Batman in the current version and an even looser visual style in the Golden age (Golden or Silver? It was Silver wasn't it?) version. I could play with the idea that they have no real connection except for thier motif, which is an animal/insect totem just like Spiderwoman. Not only that but they're long unused characters that have recently been revived to huge popularity. The cape/webbing has a similar feel and both have the potential to be a little creepy/"pulpy".

Spider-Woman vs Batwoman will be great to see. ;)

If you're talking about the 70's it should be the bronze age.