PDA

View Full Version : Define "good" Storytelling.

Comixjunky
11-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Whenever I show or post some of my artwork I hear a lot of "some small storytelling issues". Now, from ever book I have read from Eisner to McCloud
defines Storytelling as it is in comics as the ability for a reader to clearly "read" your art without the use of words on the page. I THINK I am accomplishing this because whenever I show my work to a layman they can follow along easily. Can anyone out there put a more concise definition on Comic Storytelling, I think it would help a lot of us Noobs out.

dougiemccoy
11-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Read any Issue Of "USAGI YOJIMBO" by Stan Sakai

dano
11-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Your not communicating. You're drawing individual panels rather than a visual language composed of many panels. For example, on your X-Men pages with the airplane the first two panels don't tell us anything. Theres a static row of superheroes, then a action pose of the same heroes. Then, without explanation it cuts to Cyclops shooting his eye beam. We have no idea what happened or why these panels exist.
Was someone giving orders? Were they just hanging out and them saw a crime? Theres no information in those panels to tell us WHY were looking at what we're looking at.
I would guess that you didn't have a script and just drew sample pages? If you have a script it allows you to see the big picture and compose your pages so that they visually flow and make sense; communicate visually.

Comixjunky
11-16-2006, 10:15 PM
yeah dano you hit it on the head, I "wrote" these pages right on the board as I was drawing them. I was originally just trying out page wide panels that turned into a 5 page story.