PDA

View Full Version : Colouring Help Needed...

Gav Heryng
11-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi, folks,

I'm trying to get a more "painted" look from my colours, and I've seen books where the line art had been treated so that it isn't quite as bold against the colours around it.

Can anyone give me some tips as to how to achieve this look?

Cheers

Dis

Biofungus
11-08-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't know if you mean painted, or are referring to color holds (which is what it sounds like from your description).

It's dirt simple. Make sure your lineart is on a seperate layer, check the "preserve transparency" box, then just color the areas in the line art you want to soften (or brighten, like for an explosion).

Gav Heryng
11-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Hmm. That's not quite what I mean. What you're referring to is what I call a knock-out, something I've used before.

What I'm after is an effect that, from what I've heard utilises layer masks. The colour of the line doesn't change as such, but just always stays at a shade of grey that's darker than the colour around it.

I think I saw something on Pens&Pixels' website about it, but it doesn't go into details.

Maybe Pens&Pixels can spill the beans..?

Dis

Biofungus
11-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Hmm. That's not quite what I mean. What you're referring to is what I call a knock-out, something I've used before.

What I'm after is an effect that, from what I've heard utilises layer masks. The colour of the line doesn't change as such, but just always stays at a shade of grey that's darker than the colour around it.

I think I saw something on Pens&Pixels' website about it, but it doesn't go into details.

Maybe Pens&Pixels can spill the beans..?

Dis
could you find a link to this? I mean, I was tooling around on his site, but couldn't find specifically what you were talking about.

Gav Heryng
11-09-2006, 10:47 PM
It's on this page (http://pensnpixels.com/rendering.htm).

Here's the text;

To go along with the semi-painted look I used on this image, I decided it would be best to change the lines to color rather than solid Black. To do this, I simply duplicated the "Background" layer and blurred it. After that, all I had to do was apply the apply the original lines as a layer mask and use Photoshop's Hue/Saturation adjustments to make the lines darker than the colored area around them. If I lost you on the last part...good. After all, I can't give away all of my secrets.

Dis

Champ
11-10-2006, 03:53 PM

Here's the text;

To go along with the semi-painted look I used on this image, I decided it would be best to change the lines to color rather than solid Black. To do this, I simply duplicated the "Background" layer and blurred it. After that, all I had to do was apply the apply the original lines as a layer mask and use Photoshop's Hue/Saturation adjustments to make the lines darker than the colored area around them. If I lost you on the last part...good. After all, I can't give away all of my secrets.

Dis

this image here will give you an idea of what's said in that text,
http://pensnpixels.com/tutorials/colortut/24.jpg

look at the layers pallete, what he did was made a copy
of the flatten colors, then applied a blur to it, then made
a mask of the line art to that layer so only the shape of the
line art will show through... then you can adjust the levels
to make the colors darker than the orginal colors below...

it's very simple steps once you know how...

what i do to color lines is to take the black and white
line art and select all, then chose define pattern then
fill the layer all black then create a layer mask on the
solid black layer then fill it with the pattern... then invert
the mask so all white is transparent and the lines are black,
then activate the black art and paint the black layer as you
wish, only the line art will change color as you paint...

need anymore help just let me know...

-Champ

Biofungus
11-10-2006, 09:02 PM

Here's the text;

Dis
It's still a color hold, he just used a different method to achieve it. From what I gather via Champ's post is, he used the blur in order to "bleed" the color into where the linework would be, then selected the lineart channel, and via the hue/saturation tool, he darkened it. IOW, he used the same color in the line art as the surrounding colors (blue for the pants, etc) via the blur, then darkened them using the lineart channel as a mask (rather than painting within the selection, he merely altered the color already there). I imagine he then inverted the selection and deleted the few halo pixels that were a result of the blur. Keep in mind, he HAD to blur the layer without using a layer mask, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to bleed the colors into the lineart.

Am I making any sense? If not, I'll do an actual brief tutorial of just that part myself (sorry John, you can't keep all the secrets to yourself ;) )

yakattack_one
01-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Hey Bio Fungus.
I would love a tutorial.
Could you make one. This seems really cool. I would love to learn how to do it.
Thanks.

Gav Heryng
01-15-2007, 04:10 AM
Yes, Biofungus. Being the dumb shit I am, I would appreciate a more detailed description.

Dis

Biofungus
01-15-2007, 04:09 PM
LOL! Okay, give me a day or two, I'll try to get it done (have to find a good piece to do it on, plus this thread is 2 months old, I have to get back into the mindset :p )

Biofungus
01-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I'd like to add though: as I offered above, I'll do a tut on how P&P did it. I personally don't use that technique, and honestly, I feel there are *much* easier ways to do it.

Gav Heryng
01-16-2007, 04:11 AM
Easier is good...! :p

Dis

Biofungus
01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, the thing is, I don't think he did anything different really from a color hold. The main difference that I can see, is that instead of painting the lineart to match the surrounded color areas (ie painting each part individually), he blurred it to effectively "stretch out" the color areas (so that the lineart would take on the gradations and shading of the nearest color area).

I'll still do a little tutorial, but that's the gyst of what he did.

Biofungus
02-09-2007, 06:10 PM
I would just like to apologize to all of you who may have been waiting for this quick tutorial. I got completely preoccupied with other things (not the least of which, it seems, since Christmas I've become injury prone. First the hand injury/infection, then the elbow injury, knee injury, re-injured the elbow, and the shoulder now too).