PDA

View Full Version : Coldpress versus Hotpress Crescent Illustration Board

WeirdTales
10-25-2006, 02:18 AM
Id like to hear from those of you who have used one or both coldpress & hotpress versions of the Crescent Illustration Board. Which would be better for drawing Comics on, which would be best for pencil, inketc.

I will be ordering around 100 sheets of 15x20 and have been eyeing the 201 hotpress as it appears (from what Ive red in its description) to be the best for the job.

Which would you choose and why would you choose it?

dano
10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
uh, a pad of bristol board would probably be best.
Illustration board is sort of...overkill.

WeirdTales
10-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Not for me, bristol is too thin, even the 3 ply. IMHO

dano
10-25-2006, 03:34 PM
what are you doing to it?

prochristi86
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Are you painting this a la Bisley, or are you using watercolors or something?

Personally, I've just started using Strathmore 300 (I've got a pad of it and another one of Strathmore 400) and I *love* it. It doesn't smear, is nice and thick, etc. Great stuff to draw on -- miles better than Blue Line Pro's boards, IMHO.

James

dano
10-25-2006, 04:28 PM
agree, i usually get 300 but I'm going to try 400 next order i make and never had an issue. No buckling, or smearing...takes erasing well

Biofungus
10-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, what Dano said. Depends upon what you're doing, but anything other than washes/painting makes the illo board overkill.

I myself swear by Borden and Riley Sketch vellum. It's heavier weight than the Strathmore (Strath 300 is 80 lbs. B&R Sketch vellum has 32 lbs and 96 lbs stock) and less expensive, and is great for drawing, inking, coloring.

Justice41
10-26-2006, 12:07 PM
If you want thick bristol give Strathmore Illustration Board a shot. Check it here.
http://www.misterart.com/g301/Strathmore-500-Series-Illustration-Board.htm

prochristi86
10-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks Justice41, but man.. that's expensive stuff! I think the board would be worth a lot more than my drawing on it!

Erick Cruz
10-28-2006, 03:28 AM
back in college i did a few projects using hot and cold press crescent boards, if im not mistaken cold press has a slight textured feel to it while the hot press has a smooth plate finish.

I mostly did my watercolors in cold press crescent, the board did not warp but it did curve, no big deal really, just use double sided tape.

If you want to do comic work on cescent, well, thats totally up to you WeirdTales, buy 1 sheet of each and try them out, see which suits you better.

I do remember that if you plan on doing ink work on the hot press crescent it'll take time for the ink to dry on it so be carefull not to smear.

TAP_LEGION
10-30-2006, 03:56 PM
I hate Crescents actual surface....The only time I ever use it is when I gesso the hell out of it and sand it down smooth.

I'd go with Strathmores 500 series Bristol. It has a nice tooth and holds washes and other media really well....its all I use at least 99 % of the time.

protonik
10-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Are you painting this a la Bisley, or are you using watercolors or something?

Personally, I've just started using Strathmore 300 (I've got a pad of it and another one of Strathmore 400) and I *love* it. It doesn't smear, is nice and thick, etc. Great stuff to draw on -- miles better than Blue Line Pro's boards, IMHO.

James

BLP has some Stratmore boards in 300, 400 and 500 actually. They are very nice to draw on, its like wiping your ass with silk.

hellblazer72
11-03-2006, 04:59 PM
i'm getting ready to order the hotpress, i also like what i've read about it...i like the fact that you can get smooth washes with it...i might buy a couple of the coldpress and try some acrylic on it..