PDA

View Full Version : Need some comic book suggestions for a 3 year old

J.C. Vice
10-19-2006, 04:29 PM
My son is just now getting in Spiderman, Superman and Batman. I am thinking of taking him to the comic store after work today. Any suggestions for comics for kids of this age. I more or less want to be able to sit with him and read them while he checks out the art. I just don't want comics with all the vulgar language. The comics I buy aren't really for kids...

Any suggestions???

I was going to start a mainstream collection for him, but I really don't know where to start.

I am so tired of reading kids books!

kdmelrose
10-19-2006, 04:40 PM
If you're wanting mainstream/superhero stuff, Teen Titans Go! and Justice League Unlimited from DC's Johnny DC all-ages line are good. Most of their kids' comics are available in reasonably priced -- $6.95 -- digest-sized paperbacks, too. (Batman Adventures and Superman Adventures trades should be available among the backlist.)

Marvel's Marvel Adventures line is shaping up pretty well, too, with kid-friendly versions of Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and The Avengers.

L Jamal
10-19-2006, 04:42 PM
I would start with the full color Bone that Schloastic is releasing. There are 4 trades out so far. That should last a while.

My 4-year old likes Spider-Girl (aka Spider-Man Girl).

There's also Leave it to Chance, Akiko (which also has books as well as comics)

RandallFlagg
10-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Marvel has a very good all ages line that is enjoyable. When I go to the bookstore, I look through the Power Pack comics they've put out recently and even though I enjoy them, they seem pretty much geared toward young readers.

danedawg99
10-20-2006, 05:27 PM
I can't recommend Lions. Tiger & Bears enough. the first trade is out now, and the second volume is starting up.

CloudrenderComics
10-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah my 3 year old son loves L T & B alot!

Kel Nuttall
10-20-2006, 06:37 PM
I think if you really want something that you can carry on for a long time go with Bone. It's the kind of thing that you can enjoy together now and they can read it again on their own when they're older and get something completely different out of it. it's a great series that works on many levels. And you know it's already completed so you don't have to worry about the series stopping all of a sudden or anything. These color TPB editions from Scholastic's Graphix imprint are great!

LTB was quite enjoyable as well, another vote for that one. My great-nephew loved it.

What about Hero Bear and the Kid? I've heard that recomended for all-ages reading but haven't checked it out myself yet.

Justice41
10-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Just buy collected editions of older comics. This way you are spared the nasty stuff and the collections can be kid handle without worry of losing value. Any trade should do.

Artsta
10-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Sonic The Hedgehog would be my #1 suggestion since that's what I started on.... That and Charlie Brown. :laugh: Ultimate Spiderman perhaps? I've read quite a few of those tpb's and they always seem to come off as user friendly for all ages.

The Scribe
10-24-2006, 12:39 AM
I haven't bought it yet, but Lions,Tiger and Bears by Image.

The collected Black and white trades by Marvel and DC.

Marvel Adventures.

I haven't read it. But, probably Mouseguard.
http://www.fractalmatter.com/images/mouseguard.jpg

Bone. :bounce:

Lullaby, I like this comic. ;)

Hyperactives maybe, you will have to take a look at it.

Some comics from the bargin boxes would be fine.

Spider-Girl

Teen Titans Go!

Justice League Unlimited

That's all for now. ;)