PDA

View Full Version : Need Good Photographic Refs

prochristi86
10-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Hello!

This is James Smith again, with yet ANOTHER question! :laugh:

I want to paint figure studies so as to develop painting proficiency, but I have a problem: I do NOT have access to models for illustration at this time, and although I have two printers, only one is color-capable and it's not convenient to use. What I'm wondering is, do any of you guys know of good books full of photographs of men and women (preferably color photos) that I could paint/draw from? I have been unable personally to locate many books at all of this kind, and none of them appear to furnish color photographs; only b&w ones.

I really appreciate the help!

James Smith

dano
10-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Black and white is all you need. Color is an illusion of light and completely subjective.
The constants are shape and shadow which you can get from a B&W photo.

You could take the same B&W photo and paint it 10 times using completely different color schemes and (barring any big faux pas) they'd all be correct.

Just because we're brainwashed into thinking an apple is red doesnt mean you have to paint a red apple! :har:

MadCow Menu
10-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Check out the magazine section. There are a bunch of mags like Cosmo and other women's magazines that are full of color figures.

NILgravity
10-20-2006, 01:21 AM
ask your friends. As my friend allison said "Who wouldn't want to be in a comic". it should apply even if your not actually drawing a comic

prochristi86
10-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks again, guys!

James

Lord Fejj
10-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Found this yesterday at PJ, I forget who posted it there:
http://www.characterdesigns.com/index.php?sitepage=photosets

prochristi86
10-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Lord Fejj, thank you VERY much for this truly wonderful resource! I really appreciate this. These photos are really what I've been looking for. I hope my printer can handle printing some of these.

Thank you!

James

MadCow Menu
10-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Found this yesterday at PJ, I forget who posted it there:
http://www.characterdesigns.com/index.php?sitepage=photosets
:kewl: